Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hummus and Veggies Pita Lunch

Hummus+Cucumbers+Feta+Tomatoes = Delish!

One stop along my journey was a year's subscription to Clean Eating Magazine. I really enjoyed it but at that point wasn't fully ready to commit to anything so natural. I've got to admit I love my processed foods! There were quite a few recipes I tried that I really liked and that's where this originated. It is really one of my favorite lunches, especially when I am wanting to feel particularly healthy. It's also super easy, which makes it perfect for days I've failed to plan my meals.

For the record I hate tomatoes. I like pretty much anything you can make from tomatoes, fresh or cooked, but I don't like raw tomatoes. I know it's weird, it's just the way it is. Salsa is one of my favorite ways to eat tomatoes...and if you've come looking to find my recipe for it here NO SUCH LUCK! Tomatoes are super healthy so I have tried and tried to like them. One way I make them edible raw is by removing the seeds and the (yucky!) gel-like stuff in the middle. Now I'm sure that's probably where all the good-for-you stuff lives, but it's the only way! It is definitely where all the tomato-eyness lives so if you hate tomatoes like me try it and see.

Here's the recipe:
1 pita, toasted - I like the whole wheat sesame pita from Trader Joe's. Yum!
Cucumber diced - I prefer cucumbers to tomatoes so I use more cucumber than tomato.
As much tomato as you can stomach, diced - for me it's about 1/4 cup.
Feta
Hummus - I really like Sabra roasted garlic hummus. My 3-year-old eats it off the spoon!

Assmble: After you've toasted your pita, start with the hummus. Spread it evenly over the pita. Use as much or as little as you like. I usually use about 1 Tbsp. Now sprinkle cucumbers and tomatoes over the hummus. I believe the original recipe called for 1/2 to 1 cup of veggies. I sometimes add chopped baby spinach. (You can't taste it I promise!) Then sprinkle feta, again as much as you want, over the veggies. And voila!



I usually cut it in half to make it easier to eat and scoop up all the veggies and cheese that fall off the pita onto the plate. As you add your feta remember to check out the serving sizes. The goal is health not just hiding the veggies with the cheese! I would start with a tablespoon and see if that agrees with your taste buds, then work your way down to a sprinkle from there. Also, I a whole wheat sandwich thin this time around because that's what I had in the fridge, but the pita really tastes best!

As a side note I made a kiddo version of this for Jeremiah, my 3-year-old. He had a sandwich thin, one side spread with hummus, one side with cream cheese, in the middle: thin slices of cucumber. He gobbled it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment