Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Egg and Black Bean Breakfast Burritos


Burritos are amazing. You can basically put anything in a tortilla and it'll taste good. Now, I'm not recommending this, but my dad puts tuna in his tortillas. My mom swears they grew up eating peanut butter and jelly burritos. And one of the only ways I'll eat mayo is is rolled up in a warm corn tortilla. So good!

That being said, I almost feel silly posting a recipe for a burrito. Seems like such a simple thing. What I'm really sharing is the way I learned to make amazing scrambled eggs from watching "The Chew". Thanks to Michael Symon and Mario Battali for teaching me what I should have known for at least the last 10 years!

But, before I get to that, I must tell you that the best breakfast burrito I have ever had by far was at a restaurant called "Soup Nuts and Java Jazz" on Maui during Josh's and my honeymoon. It was the most random little cafe, but that burrito has been recreated time and again in my kitchen! It was pretty simple actually -- chorizo and eggs, black beans, cheddar cheese. Served on a bed of Spanish rice with a side of salsa. OMG! So flippin' good!!! Try it sometime. You'll love it!

Anyway, back to my weekend burrito, and making delicious scrambled eggs! They're super easy and buttery. So good!
Jeremiah enjoying his burrito!
Egg and Black Bean Burritos
4 eggs, scrambled
1/2 cup black beans
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar or 4 white American cheese slices, torn
4 soft tacos size flour tortillas (I used whole wheat tortillas)
2-3 Tbsp Butter
Salt to taste

You wanna start with a good size pan, 10 or 12 in. Heat it to about medium heat. While it's heating crack your eggs and scramble them up really well. Do not salt! Now drop a couple pats of butter, maybe even a tablespoon into the pan. Swirl it around the pan to coat. When it starts bubbling (not browning) it's ready. Pour the eggs into the pan and add some more butter. Let it sit for a bit, just about 15-20 seconds. Using a spatula swirl the eggs in long sweeping motions. Add salt and continue to stir the eggs. As they're beginning to cook through add the beans and cheese and keep stirring till the eggs are cooked, glossy, not browned or over cooked. They almost look under cooked, but don't worry, turn them off, remove from heat, and let them sit while you heat up the tortillas.

Heat your tortillas on a cast iron griddle or directly over a gas burner. Make each burrito as the tortillas are heated. Before you put the egg/bean mixture into the tortilla, put some extra cheese onto the tortilla. Don't overfill, wrap it up, and enjoy! You can add salsa, homemade or Tapatio. So delicious!

If you're a visual person you can check out the clip of Michael Symon making the perfect scrambled eggs (along with the entire steak and scrambled egg tacos recipe) here.

No comments:

Post a Comment